As the year comes to an end, we enter the retrospection mode (not you? then I guess it’s just me..). To say that this year was different than any other, is an understatement. With bebu, everything seems a lot more precious. And some, not so much. The center of my universe has changed for sure. And I have too. Bebu has given me a new perspective about myself. I wish I was half as confident in my teens. But, you live and you learn. How we were in the past, shapes our future. So I can’t really wish for things to be different.
There’s a series of letters written by people to their 16 year old selves, Dear Me. This triggered a whole slew of posts across the internet with multiple people talking about their experiences and what they learned. And I can see why. Our view of who we are and where we want to head, changes so much from our tween years to when we hit our 30s. I’m a few months shy of hitting 30. With a baby and being with this amazing person for a good part of 7 years, I see where I was then and how far I’ve come. I can say that I love being at this point in my life. So, I know I’m late to the party, but now seemed like a good time to pen this.
My letter to my 16 year old self:
- Be more confident. Everyone isn’t here to judge you. Even if they are, should it matter?
- It’s ok if you don’t have all the answers. But don’t let that stop you from asking questions
- Try everything. You don’t have to like it. It’s even ok to hate it.
- Don’t let other people tell you who you are. Find it out for yourself.
- Don’t pretend to like something because others do.
- It’s ok to be quirky. That’s what makes you unique.
- Don’t give up on things. Don’t let the first tumble you take prevent from getting up and trying it again.
- Keep reading. Books, newspapers, stupid romantic novels, comics. There’s something to learn from everything
- Try to find something good in everything. That’ll prevent you from being negative.
There are so many things that I could add to this list. But that’s not just applicable to my 16 year old self 🙂 What can I say, need to keep iterating on a better me everyday.
Happy New Year!