It’s been a super long time since I last blogged. 345 days to be exact! Having a pre-k and a baby shifts priorities to say the least. I’m still reading blogs, just not blogging. I just haven’t been able to carve out time for it. But if I’ve learned anything in the past few months is that you’ll never have time for stuff, if you don’t specifically make time for it. So on that note, onward & forward…
Over the past few days I came across the hashtag #trypod. It was a campaign by NPR to raise awareness about podcasts. It seems, like most things today, we live in a bubble of things we know & do. So people who don’t listen to podcasts are sadly isolated from this community that seems to be thriving lately, a community of people who do listen to podcasts and in some cases are obsessed with it. From my personal experiences, the biggest barrier to entry was the subpar Podcasts app on the iPhone. I’ve used iTunes app on my mac in the past. But it didn’t really stick. I tried the in-page Libsyn player to listen to specific podcasts. A few months ago, I started using Overcast (iOS/MacOS only). And I’ve to say, it’s becoming my go to player. The iPhone app is pretty neat. It’s clean and simple to use without the fuss of extra details crammed into the tiny screen. But the biggest USP for me is that my podcasts are synced across all devices. Other apps that are popular are the aforementioned Podcasts app on iPhone, iTunes on Mac/Windows, Stitcher, Radiopublic (iOS & Android), Spotify (yes! who knew, right?) to name a few.
Now that we are done with the hows, moving on to the podcasts that are worth a try. Currently on my list are, in a random order:
- Call Your Girlfriend – I stumbled across this on the Cup of Jo’s awesome podcasts list. A definite read if topics like feminism, girl power pique your interest
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin is a great podcast which reminds you to look for the small things that bring happiness but get lost in the daily grind. I totally recommend the Are you lonely? episode. Quite an eye opener.
- This American Life is a must-listen on everyone’s list. You can even listen to them on Pandora
- Young House Love is a fun podcast about all things DIY, design, home & everything tangentially connected to aforementioned things 🙂
- Marketplace – I love Kai Ryssdal! If I get out of work just in time to catch Marketplace on radio, it’s all rainbows & sunshine 😀
I would totally recommend giving it a try incase you haven’t. I’m sure you’ll find something that fits the bill.